From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2007 11:47:29 -0400
Yesterday, May 21, there was a good push of migrants along the Scioto River in Columbus, possibly the last one of the season where there is a decent number of singing male warblers.  Yesterday's walk along my backyard stretch of the Scioto was at mid-day. Today I walked the exact same paths in the morning, finding far fewer birds aside from well established residents.

In addition to resident Yellow-thr Warblers - here are the warblers here yesterday and today :

Tennessee - 1 yesterday only
Yellow Warbler - 1 yesterday only
Black-thr Green - 1 yesterday only
Blackburnian - 3 yesterday, 1 today
Bay-breasted - 2 yesterday only
Blackpoll - 3 both yesterday and today
Am Redstart - 8 yesterday, 1 today
N Waterthrush - 1 yesterday
Mourning - 2 yesterday, 1 today
Canada - 1 today only
Wilson's Warbler - 1 yesterday only

Except for the waterthrush, which was silent, all the above were singing males. May 21 is a fairly late date for male B-t Greens here. No doubt some silent female warblers were also around, but with the warm temperatures they were probably feeding up high and remained undetected. Surprisingly, I had no Magnolias or Ch-sideds here either yesterday or today. I have about 10 records of Connecticut here. It has been a few years since the last one, so I'll keep looking and listening. I've had a singing male here as late as June 1st.

Besides warblers there was a a big push of Swainson's Thrushes yesterday too. Yesterday I counted 9, and I could only find one today. Red-eyed Vireos have also thinned out from yesterday, with only 3 remaining today. A Yellow-billed Cuckoo was also a highlight yesterday. Cedar Waxwings have become numerous with ~20 here today. Their numbers will only grow.

Bob Royse, Columbus