From:
Andy Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2007 08:43:42 -0400
Hi Folks:

I did a little after-work atlasing last night at Kiwanis-Dublin Riverside
Park. Decent variety of birds, highlight being an Olive-sided Flycatcher
that I observed for about five seconds on the top of a tall tree before it
dove down and vanished. Several Great Crested Flycatchers were present,
along with at least one singing Yellow-Throated Warbler  (I'm pretty sure
they breed in the sycamores here, but I haven't been able to get a
confirmation beyond a T7) and singing American Redstarts. A solitary female
Hooded Merganser was present on the Scioto River, with a few of the resident
Canada Geese and Mallards. I caught snatches of what sounded like
Prothonotary Warbler song, but never heard enough or saw the bird to
confirm. There are nest boxes here for Prothonotaries, but many of them are
occupied by Tree Swallows. I also observed an occupied nest but not enough
of the bird on it for an ID.

Other birds present:

Downy Woodpecker

Carolina Chickadee

Chimney Swift

Wood Duck

Great Blue Heron

Spotted Sandpiper

Baltimore Oriole pair (Male carrying nesting material)

Cedar Waxwings

Red-eyed Vireo (Calling)

Blue Jay

Eastern Kingbird

White-breasted Nuthatch

American Robin

Song Sparrow (singing)

American Goldfinch

European Starling (with fledglings in tree cavities)

Not a bad couple of hours in this pleasant little spot.

Kiwanis-Dublin Riverside Park is located just south of SR 161
(Dublin-Granville) road along US 33, Take the first right going south into
Quarry Place.

Andrew R. Sewell, MS, RPA

Principal Investigator

Historical/Industrial Archaeology