Date:
Wed, 23 May 2007 17:10:02 EDT
Today Ruth Richards joined me for a day of birding at the Hoover Nature
Preserve. The day began with nice weather but later got summer hot. The activity
was mixed with periods of little or no activity which changed to moderately
active. We began the morning at Oxbow Road and then continued on to Wiese Road
and Area N before breaking to eat. We lunched at the overlook gazebo near the
 Little Walnut Creek trestle which provided us with a shaded spot and birds
to  serenade us. From there we visited Hoover Meadows until we had to break due
to  it getting hot and my dental appointment (rather be birding).

Our highlight was the finishing flurry at Hoover Meadows that included a
Yellow-billed Cuckoo that could only be described as showing off as it stayed in
the open, in sunlight and did a 360 turn for us for about 5 minutes, a
Red-headed Woodpecker, a second-year Orchard Oriole, and a male Yellow Warbler.
Ruth made me promise not to chose the Prothonotary Warblers that made their
presence known every stop but Hoover Meadows.

Species observed included:
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Green Heron