From:
"TINIANOW, Jerome" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TINIANOW, Jerome
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2007 08:41:38 -0400
April and May see the peak of spring migration in Ohio.  Not
surprisingly, these two months also unofficially constitute "Birdathon
Season" - the period when Audubon chapters and programs organize
frenzied 24-hour Big Days as a means of raising much-needed dollars
through sponsorships.  Also not surprisingly, Birdthon searches often
concentrate on the shore of the Western Lake Erie Basin, which offers
the greatest potential during that period for a really Big Day.

Audubon Ohio has always followed this classic Birdathon model, driving
up to the Western Lake Erie Basin year after year.  This year, however,
we took a different approach.  We did a carbon-conscious Birdathon on
May 10.  The ground rules were simple.  We had to sign up sponsors as
before, but this time we had conduct our Big Day only at locations we
could reach from our homes without using a car.  This meant that we
needed to go to places we could reach on foot or by bicycle or public
transportation.  For Columbus-based staff, this meant trips to Greenlawn
Cemetery, the Whittier Peninsula, the OSU Research Wetland, Whetstone
Park and Hoover Reservoir.  Our Director of Habitat Conservation, John
Ritzenthaler, focused on the woods and fields near his home in western
Clark County, and our Grassroots Coordinator, Marnie Urso, biked up to
Huntington Metro Park near her home in Bay Village.  Two of our state
board members helped out, Robin Mullet by birding near her home in rural
Coshocton County, and Greg Cunningham by inviting us to stop by his back
yard in Columbus to see a nesting Screech Owl that has set up shop there
this spring.

The bad news is that we only spotted 93 species - well below our usual
count, which is between 120 and 140.  The good news is that we spotted
93 species - all at locations we could reach from our homes without
burning a single drop of gasoline!  Further, the experience was really
fun.  Yes, we didn't see many of the more unusual species that pass
through Ohio at this time of the year, but the idea that we could see
this many so close to the relatively urban locations in which most of us
live was truly inspirational.  It suggests surprising robustness in
urban ecosystems despite the numerous and growing pressures we put on
them every year.  It provides hope.  In addition, it gave all of us a
chance to focus intensely for one day on areas close to home that we
normally take for granted and don't really "see."

As an additional feature this year, we ran a blog during the day,
stopping every few hours to post reports of our activities (and a few
photos).  The blog is still up, and we invite you to take a look at it
at http://AObirdathon.blogspot.com/.  If you would like a list of birds
we spotted during our carbon-conscious Birdathon, please drop me a line
via e-mail.

Our carbon-conscious Birdathon was motivated by the public's growing
awareness of the threat of global warming and of the need to send a
message that things need to change if we are to stave off the worst
effects of global warming.  Actually, though, we wanted to send a second
message - that change does not necessarily have to be unpleasant.
Change can offer new rewards, as our day of carbon-free birding close to
home so amply demonstrated.

Jerome C. Tinianow

Vice President and Ohio Executive Director

Audubon Ohio

692 N. High St., Suite 303

Columbus, Ohio 43215

(614) 224-3303 (o)