From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2007 15:33:29 -0400
I'm doing some OBBA2 blocks in the Deer Creek area southwest of Columbus including the 2 blocks surrounding the creek north of the reservoir in the state wildlife area.  There are only a few fishermen's access points along the creek and no lengthy trails, especially in the northern stretch. I think the only real way to properly survey the breeding birds along the creek will be by canoe. Is there anyone out there in central Ohio with a canoe that might be interested in checking it out with me sometime next month? My guess is that the breeding birds will be similar to what's along the Darby Creek, but there's only one way to find out for sure.  Please email me privately if you're interested or have any ideas. Thanks.

Yesterday, May 27th, I did some poking around Deer Creek. Prothonotary Warbler and Red-headed Woodpecker were found at one of the fishing access points. Definite migrants were few, but I saw a total of 11 Yellow-billed Cuckoos at various spots around the Deer Creek area, which may have been mostly migrants.

Bob Royse