From:
Jeff Grabmeier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Grabmeier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2007 09:36:26 -0400
Sorry for the late report.  I got to spend some time Saturday and
Sunday (May 26 and 27) birding around Williams County in the far
northwestern corner of the state.  Most of the birds I found were at
Lake La Su An State Wildlife Area.

The best bird was a NORTHERN BOBWHITE which I heard and then saw at
in a field at the intersections of County Roads Q.50 and 5.75, very
near the Nettle Lake sewage pond.  This is the first bobwhite I have
ever heard in 10+ years of birding in Williams County.  I did a quick
check, and couldn't find anyone who knew of any bobwhites being
released in the area.  If anyone knows of any releases near there,
please let me know.

Lake La Su An had many of the breeding specialties it is known for:

Cerulean Warbler
Hooded Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler -- one male seen.  No evidence of mate.
Henslow's Sparrow -- seen in several areas of the county, including
along County Rd. S
White-eyed vireo
Veery

Jeff Grabmeier