From:
Nathaniel Nye <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nathaniel Nye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2007 20:59:57 -0400
I haven't been able to do as much birding lately as I would have liked, but
I have seen (or heard) some noteworthy birds in the last several days.  Some
of these are a little late, but for what they're worth:

Saturday, 26 May:
Yellow-breasted Chat, 2 @ Battelle-Darby Creek MP (saw 1 quite obliging
individual, considering the secretive habits of this species, at Turkeyfoot
Trail, Indian Ridge Picnic Area)
Common Yellowthroats, lots
Ring-necked Pheasant, 1 calling at ~7 AM
E. Bluebird, pair
Willow Flycatcher, pair on territory
Brown Thrasher, 1  (this and all of above at same location, Turkeyfoot
Trail)
Red-eyed Vireo, 1   Terrace Trail
R-b Grosbeak, 1    Terrace Trail -- my wife called me at this point and
needed me home pronto, so my trip was cut short!!  That's life I guess.
She's worth it!

Sunday, 27 May:
Mourning Warbler -- heard singing at Prairie Oaks MP, Darby Lakes area ~9
AM;  we were on a "Sunday Morning Family Walk," and NOT "birdwatching," per
my wife's loving stipulation;  but that didn't stop me from hearing the
Mourning Warbler!

Monday, 28 May:
Barred Owl -- heard calling at Battelle-Darby Creek MP along Terrace Trail,
~7 PM

Wednesday, 30 May:
Great Egret -- seen flying over I-670 & Grandview Blvd at 7 AM

A couple friends of mine have been giving me a little heckling over my
birding obsession.  A buddy and I were tossing the frisbee out at Battelle
on Memorial Day when a Barred Owl started calling--I pointed it out and told
him what it was and he said, "Who are you, the Bird Whisperer?!"  I couldn't
deny the allegation.  Another friend that same night asked me if I had
remembered to bring along my "bird-seeing goggles," referring to my
binoculars.  I do have a couple other friends, however, who are beginning to
show some serious interest in birding.  Good times.

-Nate Nye
Hilliard, OH