Date:
Thu, 3 May 2007 00:12:57 GMT
May 2, 2007

I'm in southern California working. Today my mother, who is 90, called me to report a bird
at her feeder that she had never seen before, and to ask for my help in identifying it. After
her description, I settled in on rose-breasted grosbeak. "Two black and white birds with
white blotches on their black wings, and red "throats." About the size of robins." Also the
fact that they came to a feeder helped. Mom still lives in the house where I grew up (to
whatever extent I ever actually grew up.) This is in Whitehall, an eastside suburb of
Columbus. I don't recall ever seeing rose-breasted grosbeaks there before either.

I asked her to get out a bird book and to look it up to confirm. She couldn't find the one she
usually keeps handy, so she resorted to the bookshelf and pulled out an old Peterson guide
from the early sixties. It was my own first field guide from my childhood, judging by the
inscription inside the front cover (my ninth birthday, 1963) and the fact that it is falling
apart (well used.) This reminded me of how she nurtured my youthful interest in the natural
world, took me on bird walks at Blacklick Woods and Blendon Woods, as well as putting up
feeders in our yard with its remnant emergent oaks and basswoods, and keeping the wild
woodlot in the backyard natural.

I am delighted when she calls with such questions.

Thanks Mom!

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County