From:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2007 10:05:49 -0700
Greetings!

  Needed to run research transects for the week at the Wilds this morning and was pleased to finally locate my first Grasshopper Sparrows of the year. At least two birds were seen along Zion Ridge road. They seem bit late this year as I usually get them around the 20-25th of April, but I have not done transects since last Wednesday, so they could have returned at any time between now and then.

  My first Bobolinks of the year were also seen along Zion Ridge and Scott roads this morning. I viewed at least three males and heard more.

  I did not have much time for the wetlands this morning, but managed a quick trip...quick that is until I found the male Golden-winged Warbler! I was extremely lucky to have a close, 30+ minute study of this magnificent bird. It was a year bird and a new species for the Wilds property!

  Other notables included:

  Nashville Warbler - 3-4
  Black & White Warbler - 1M (Year Bird)
  Swainson's Thrush - 1 (Year Bird and new for the Wilds)
  Spotted Sandpiper - 1 (Year Bird)

  Also, found a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher nest right above the trail and it looked as if they were already feeding young, which I thought was a bit early. Perhaps I mistook the bird putting nest material in the inner lining and settling it down with its body, but they were very agitated and vocal, even more than normal, while I stood there.

  That's all for now...

  More later...

  Good birding,

  Jason