From:
Robert Sparks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Sparks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2007 07:31:35 -0700
Hello Everyone,
Even though spring migration is just now starting to
heat up, the Breeding Bird Atlas season is just around
the corner.  I am the regional coordinator for pages
85, 86, & 87i in the Delorme Atlas.  This is basically
the southeastern part of the state along the Ohio
River.  There are not a lot of birders (or people for
that matter) in this part of the state and many of the
blocks were poorly surveyed in the last breeding bird
atlas.  I would like to change that for the current
atlas project!  To that end I am organizing a
blockbusting weekend on June 8-10.  A blockbusting
weekend is where a large group of birders spend the
weekend in an area and survey as many blocks as
possible.  The Ironton District of the Wayne National
Forest has generously donated two of their group
campsites at Lake Vesuvius Recreation Area (this area
is about 10 miles north of Ironton) for this weekend,
so you get free camping!  The plan for the weekend is
to meet at the campsite Friday evening where we will
pass out maps, assign territories, etc.  We will atlas
all day on Saturday, then meet back at the campsite to
recap the highlights of the day and do some nocturnal
atlasing.  On Sunday we will atlas more.  This will be
a great way to get coverage in a lot of different
blocks.  This is a beautiful part of the state with
about 20 species of breeding warblers and if you ask
me it is the best place in the state for a Swainson's
Warbler to show up!
I would really like to get about 30 people for this
weekend.  If you are interested feel free to email me
back or just give me a call at (614) 751-6622.

Good birding,
Brad Sparks
Reyenoldsburg, OH