From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2007 11:24:22 -0400
        It seems Metzger Marsh's waters have been drawn down again, creating
for the second time this century some substantial foraging for
northbound shorebirds there. The last time Metzger water was lowered
enough was the spring of 2004 (apparently to enable burning off of
invasive plants), when 25+ species used the mudflats, including
red-necked phalarope, stilt sandpiper, western sandpiper, and red knot,
all relatively scarce in Ohio in spring. I remember watching a swirling
mass of 9000+ dunlins that May, reminiscent of the days before this area
was diked off.
        I hope the hordes of warbler-watchers at Magee Marsh will find time to
come by Metzger to see some shorebird habitat this spring: unlike that
for songbirds, this is not a yearly affair. A site guide is at
http://www.ohiobirds.org/birdingsites/showsite.php?Site_ID=13 . Spurred
by the draw-down, a perennial discussion of this area has emerged on the
Toledo-area bird list
http://www.rarebird.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2010  .
        I will refrain from repeating my opinions on the matter here. Suffice
it to say we have more shorebirds on the Ohio species list than
warblers, or waterfowl. An essay on Ohio shorebirds is at
http://www.ohiobirds.org/news.php?News_ID=114  . Statements on the
Metzger issue (from 2004, ironically) are on the list archives at
http://lists.envirolink.org/pipermail/ohio-birds/2004-January/001920.html
  and at
http://lists.envirolink.org/pipermail/ohio-birds/2004-February/002169.html
       I hope they'll be of interest to those who care about Metzger WA
and about shorebirds.  Enjoy all the northbound birds, and wish them the
best in their efforts to reproduce their kind.
Bill Whan
Columbus