From:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2007 11:26:54 -0400
Hello Everyone,

The nesting season for many species is well underway and about to begin for
others.  Our frequent spring forays into the field to look for migrants is a
great opportunity to pick up a few observations of local breeding species.
While you're out in the field over the next couple of weeks, keep in mind
that your birding could be simultaneously providing the Ohio Breeding Bird
Atlas with some very valuable data.

In particular, May first is either in the middle or the beginning of safe
dates for 55 species on the Atlas checklist (you can download the atlas
checklist @
http://www.ohiobirds.org/obba2/uploads/Appendix%20E_official%20species%20lis
t.pdf).  What this means is that simple visual or audible detections of
these species during your birding excursions equals Atlas records.  I keep
seeing reports of an Eastern Screech-Owl at the Magee Marsh boardwalk.
Since February 1st is the beginning of safe dates for this owl, you can turn
in this record even if the owl is just sitting there, basically doing
nothing to directly indicate nesting.

To get more records that confirm breeding behavior for suspected breeders,
take just a few minutes to observe what the birds are actually doing.  You
might catch a bird carrying nesting material or engaged in a courtship
display.  Safe dates don't define a species breeding season in Ohio, which
means that many individuals of a species will begin nesting activities much
earlier than the beginning of safe dates.  This is especially true in the
southern parts of the state.

If you would like more information on how to participate in the Ohio
Breeding Bird Atlas, please contact us, and we'll send out some information
right away (phone: 614-247-6458; email: [log in to unmask]).  Also, if you need
help determining the Atlas block where you recorded observations, give us a
call or send us an email, and we'll help figure it out.  Also keep in mind
that there is a new tool on the Atlas website (www.ohiobirds.org/obba2/)
that converts latitude/longitude coordinates into the correct block IDs.  So
far, this tool has been indispensable!

Good birding!

Aaron Boone
Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II
School of Environment & Natural Resources
The Ohio State University
210 Kottman Hall
2021 Coffey Road
Phone: 614-247-6458