From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2007 12:42:29 -0400
I joined a group along with Dawes naturalist Tim Mason this morning for a
walk through the Dutch Fork wetlands, on White Chapel Road west of Route 13.
I have referred to this birding location as the Dawes Arboretum wetlands, as
it is owned by Dawes.  However, there is more than one "Dawes" wetland, and
this particular one, on White Chapel, is known as the Dutch Fork wetlands.

The wetlands is bordered to the east by a shrubby fence row and on the south
by a substantial stream, perhaps not large enough to be called a river,
which I assume is the Dutch Fork.  Some birds listed below were observed
either in the fence row or in the riparian woodland habitat bordering the
wetlands.

Overcast conditions.

Great blue heron

Green heron

Canada goose

Wood duck

Mallard

Red-tailed hawk

Semipalmated plover - 7

Killdeer

Wilson's snipe

Greater yellowlegs

Lesser yellowlegs

Solitary sandpiper

Spotted sandpiper

Semipalmated sandpiper

Least sandpiper

Rock pigeon

Mourning dove

Red-headed woodpecker

Red-bellied woodpecker

Downy woodpecker

Tree swallow

Bank swallow - not on Dawes property, at Davis Rd and Licking Trail

Barn swallow

American pipit

House wren - at bridge on Licking Trail

Gray catbird

Northern mockingbird

Eastern bluebird - on Dawes property along Davis Road

White-breasted nuthatch

Blue jay

European starling

House sparrow

White-eyed vireo

American goldfinch

Northern parula - at bridge on Licking Trail

Yellow warbler

Yellow-rumped warbler - at bridge on Licking Trail

Palm warbler

American redstart

Yellow-breasted chat - 2 different birds

Field sparrow

Savannah sparrow

Song sparrow

Northern cardinal

Indigo bunting

Red-winged blackbird

Eastern meadowlark - not on Dawes property, along Davis Road

Common grackle

Brown-headed cowbird

Baltimore oriole

Two new yard birds early this morning:  Nashville warbler and yellow-rumped
warbler  (bringing my all-time yard list to 48)

My Licking County Totals:

Daily total for May 5, 2007:  51

Total for May 2007, so far:  72

Total for 2007:  133

Lifetime Licking Co. total:  162 recorded (possibly more, unrecorded)

Birds reported in Licking Co. in 2007 but not seen by me:

Sandhill crane

Barn owl - in one of the buildings owned by the Dawes Arboretum!  How I'd
love to see one of these guys in Licking Co.!

I decided in February to focus on the county of my residence, and to record
every species seen, month-by-month.  For lists of birds seen in February,
March and April, see the OOS site:

http://www.ohiobirds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=234

Happy birding,

Margaret Bowman