Date:
Sat, 5 May 2007 15:49:32 EDT
May 5 - 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.

After 3 days at Shawnee and 2 days at The Wilds, it was great to come home
and find such a good selection of nesters at our usual  "neighborhood" birding
areas.  We managed 108 species on this trip,  including 21 species of
warblers.  Hopefully, this next week we'll find  some of the ones at Crane Creek we
missed.

North Park:

Green heron - 4
Orchard oriole - 2 pair
Baltimore oriole - 2 pair
Am. goldfinches
Yellow warblers
Red-winged blackbirds
Willow flycatcher
Spotted sandpiper - 4
Canada geese
Killdeer
Tree, barn, rough-winged, and bank swallows
Mallards
Field and song sparrows
Common yellowthroats
Red-bellied woodpecker
Brown-headed cowbirds
Turkey vulture
Great blue herons
Am. robins
European starlings
Northern cardinals
Wood ducks
Eastern kingbird
Indigo buntings

For those who have asked and are wondering, we neither saw nor heard any
indication of the blue grosbeaks yet.  According to our records, they  usually
show up in early to mid July.  Last year, the young fledged on  August 12.

Main Park:

Blue-gray gnatcatchers
Indigo buntings
Bluejays
DC cormorants
Baltimore orioles
Great blue herons
Mallards
Canada geese
Wood ducks
Blue-winged teal
House wrens
Tufted titmouses
Yellow warblers
Am. goldfinches
Warbling vireo
Prothonotary warblers (at the bridge, as always)
Carolina chickadees
Eastern towhees
Yellow-throated vireo
White-crowned, song, and house sparrows