Date:
Mon, 7 May 2007 10:34:18 -0400
  Howdy. John Habig, Glen Crippen and I went out for a big day Saturday,
starting at midnight. We pretty much stuck to the Northwest Corner of
the state above Columbus. That was good in some ways but not great for
getting big numbers since there were hardly any Warblers up there at
Magee etc. Oh well we still had a good time and good birds. Our total
number of Warblers was only like 15 sp., we missed so many that I had
just seen the day before, couldn't even find a Black-throated Green. We
just barely missed Lincoln's Sparrow at Magee so that put us at a grand
total of 13 Sparrows. First DICKCISSEL of the year. Our Total for the
day was 141 species heard or seen. Here is my list of highlights:

King Rail - 2 at Springville Marsh, along with soras and Virginias
Screech Owl - 2 at Springville, 1 at Irwin Prairie, 1 at Magee
Great Horned Owl - 1 owlet at MBSP
3 terns except for Black Tern
3 mimids
Bank Swallow - a couple seen at MBSP
Glossy Ibis - 1 seen at Metzger
Ruddy Turnstone - 2 at Metzger
Snowy Egret - 1 at Metzger
We had all the thrushes BUT Swainson's, ahh, and I had just seen a
bunch at Hoover the day before
Gray-cheeked Thrush was seen at MBSP
Lark Sparrow - Oak openings
Clay-colored Sparrow - 1 at Crane-creek/Magee
DICKCISSEL - 2 seen at Longbrake's Wetlands
Henslow's Sparrow - 1 at Longbrake's
Grasshopper Sparrow - 2 at longbrake's
Vesper Sparrow - several singing and great looks at a couple at
Longbrake's
American Golden Plover - 50+ seen in full breeding colors at Longbrake's
Common Loon - 4 seen at Hoover
Blackpoll Warbler - 1 male seen at Oxbow of Hoover
Common Nighthawk - 2 heard in parking lot of Highbanks, our last bird
for the 21 hours we were out.

     Good times, and Good Birding,
     - Ben Warner