From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2007 12:28:32 -0400
Thanks to all who sent observations relevant to my post wondering if all
these rose-breasted grosbeaks have come to feeders because of diminished
natural foods. Decreases in certain insects and damage to trees seem
widespread, as do grosbeak sightings at feeders. Folks on the Indiana
list have been discussing the same topic. It seems grosbeaks (and other
species) seek out feeders now, and one reason is frosting of vegetation
in April.
        I took a *very* informal survey this morning with a walk around my
tree-filled urban neighborhood. The results were a bit chilling:
        --sweetgum: no signs of flowers/fruit
        --hackberry: ditto
        --mulberry: ditto, except some trees with some flowers, no foliage!
        --dogwood: flowering, but at reduced levels
        --holly: no flowers, many leaves dropped or browned
        --honey locust: OK apparently
        --tulip poplar: fewer flower buds
        --white ash: no sign of living flowers
        --Japanese maple: retarded leafing, dead blooms
        --silver maple: no sign of flowers
        --black oak: signs of successful flowering
        --black walnut: looks OK
        --southern magnolia: (rare here) no buds, much leaf browning
        --catalpa: no signs of fruit forthcoming
        --cherry: seems OK
        --linden: some yes, some no
        --hawthorn spp: what I saw looked OK
        --wisteria: it is to laugh...
        --buckeye: looks OK
        --ailanthus: just leafing
        --elms, spp: the few seen looked OK
        --pin oak: seems OK
        --norway maple: not good
        --red oak: looks bad
        --white oak: many look awful
        --sycamore: spotty, most retarded
        --redbud: some never flowered; one tree still had blossoms
        --ash, spp: mostly looked bad for flowers/fruit
        --lilac/rhododendron: much reduced flowering
Striking were the number of venerable oaks, mostly whites and reds, with
little or no green at this date. These 100-200 year old trees are tough,
and will probably recover, but probably no acorns this year. Last week I
noticed many oaks way down in Shawnee SF in an only slightly more
advanced state.
        Again, this assessment is haphazard. I can't remember when all these
species flower, so I could have misjudged some. Please feel free  to
correct me. In any event, I suggest if you take a critical look at your
trees you will see a lot of damage, and a lot of retarded development of
flowers and fruits. These effects, most likely due to early April's
lengthy hard freeze on leafy foliage of trees and the insects associated
therewith, must be affecting arriving birds.
        I've already mentioned the ubiquitous appearance at feeders of
rose-breasted grosbeaks, and there must be other less showy species
affected. Trees don't need to produce young every year to maintain their
populations; in 2007 many will take a vacation from reproduction, it
seems. Birds, however, being shorter-lived, need to reproduce on a
tighter schedule; this widespread damage to trees may affect bird
populations more than those of trees in the short run, and there could
well be a dip in their numbers coming up. In the meantime, keep those
feeders filled if you like grosbeaks!
Bill Whan
Columbus