OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

[log in to unmask][log in to unmask] 4020 30 16_Backyard visitor10_merri [log in to unmask], 7 Jun 2007 14:49:05 +0000400_- I have had an unusual visitor in my backyard for two days. It is an all
white dove. It just walks around the flower beds and picks up seed under
the feeders. It is not an albino (no red eyes), so I suspect someone has
lost a pet. It seems quite tame and is not very good at flying. It is very
attractive and has been fun to watch.
Merri Hall
Magnetic Springs, Ohio
Union County44_7Jun200714:49:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2007 10:53:49 EDT
The Canton Audubon Society took a field trip to the Woodbury Wildlife  Area
on Monday, June 4 and had a pretty productive day.  Forty-four species  were
seen in only 3 hours and almost everyone had a least 1 life bird.  One  member
had 7 lifers.  Henslow's Sparrows, 1 of the target birds for the  trip, were
heard in several areas & everyone got at least 2 really good long  looks.
Grasshopper Sparrows were a little harder to find.  The roads  traveled that were
the most productive included TR 400/TR 426 & CR  58.  Here is the list:

Wood  Duck                                                      Northern
Mockingbird
Mallard                                                             Blue  Jay
Canada Goose--large V flying  over                      American  Crow
Red-tailed  Hawk                                                Red-eyed
Vireo
Turkey  Vulture                                                  White-eyed
Vireo--heard at cemetary, CR 54
Bobwhite--CR 58 , tank  battery                           Yellow  Warbler
Great Blue  Heron
Yellow-breasted Chat--TR 426
Mourning  Dove                                                  Common
Yellow-throat
Red-bellied  Woodpecker                                      European Starling
Hairy Woodpecker--sm wetland, CR  58                Red-winged  Blackbird
Northern  Flicker                                                  Eastern
Meadowlark
Tree  Swallow                                                     Common
Grackle
Barn  Swallow                                                     Baltimore
Oriole
Rough-winged  Swallow                                        Song  Sparrow
Eastern  Kingbird                                                  Field
Sparrow
Great-creasted Fycatcher--heard, cemetery, CR54  Henslow's  Sparrow--several,
CR 58 & TR 426
Willow Flycatcher--abundant, all  roads                  Grasshopper
Sparrow--CR 58, tank battery
American  Robin                                                  Swamp
Sparrow--sm wetland, CR 58
Eastern  Bluebird                                                  American
Goldfinch
Wood  Thrush--heard                                            Northern
Cardinal
Brown  Thrasher                                                   Indigo
Bunting
Grey  Catbird                                                        Eastern
Towhee

Other birds seen during the trip, not at Woodbury but at our cottage  along
the Killbuck Creek, included:
Red-Headed Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
House Wren
Bobolink--hay fields along T29, east of Warsaw

A total of 52 birds for the day.

Laura Dornan
Louisville, Stark County