OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:48:23 EDT
Today I took advantage of the cooler temperature to survey an area with
rugged terrain in the Hoover Nature Preserve for the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas  II.
I took along pruning shears to fight off the multiflora rose, whereas I
really could have used a machete. Then there was the trading through the muck
along the feeder streams into Big Walnut Creek. My efforts were rewarded though
as the area produced  5 new Prothonotary Warbler nest sites, a Northern
Parula male gathering insects, 2 Yellow-throated Warblers, a singing Hooded
Warbler, a Cerulean Warbler, another Ruby-throated Hummingbird Nest with the  female
on the nest, a Belted Kingfisher tunnel, a Pileated Woodpecker nest  cavity,
and 2 Great Horned Owlets.

Scott Albaugh commented yesterday about the unexpected great surprises that
can be found when working a block for the Breeding Bird Atlas. I’ve been out
surveying my 6 blocks daily during the past two weeks and the activity has
been  excellent and has produced some real surprises of which an American Bittern
tops  my lists.  Any birder that thinks things get dull after May needs to
participate in the survey. Have fun and help with an important survey of Ohio’s
 birds.

Species I observed today were:
Great Blue  Heron
Green Heron
Canada  Goose    (with goslings)
Wood  Duck    (with  ducklings)
Mallard    (with ducklings)
Turkey  Vulture
Red-tailed Hawk
Killdeer
Mourning Dove
Yellow-billed  Cuckoo
Great Horned Owl    (2 owlets)
Ruby-throated  Hummingbird    (sitting on nest)
Belted  Kingfisher    (at nest tunnel)
Red-bellied  Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated  Woodpecker
Acadian Flycatcher    (active nest)
Great  Crested Flycatcher    (at nest cavity)
Eastern  Kingbird    (on nest in low Black Willow over water)
Tree  Swallow    (feeding young in tree cavity)
Blue  Jay
American Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted  Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Wood Thrush
American  Robin
Gray Catbird
Cedar Waxwing
European Starling
Warbling  Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Northern Parula
Yellow Warbler
Yellow-throated  Warbler
Cerulean Warbler
Prothonotary  Warbler    (feeding young at natural cavity)
Louisiana  Waterthrush
Kentucky Warbler
Hooded Warbler
Northern Cardinal