OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2007 14:12:03 -0400
Wow, what a great morning to go birding.  The air was dead still, so any
movement in the leaves had to be a bird.  Sometimes, a little luck is
needed, too, but for some reason, I was able to see some birds that I
haven't seen in several year, including a couple that I have never seen in
Licking Co. before.

I started the morning at 6:30 at the Dillon Wildlife Area which is across
Toboso Road from the main parking lot of Black Hand Gorge.  I really like
this area.  It's state-owned with few limitations on access, and other than
an occasional fisherman, I rarely see any people.  Most of the birds below
were seen in the Dillon WA area.

Around 10:00, I went to the Marie Hickey Trail, completing that loop by
11:45.

The birds below were seen at the Dillon WA area, unless otherwise noted.

The list:

Great blue heron

Green heron

Wood duck (20+ adults) - many with ducklings in tow

Turkey vulture

Cooper's hawk - at Stadden Bridge, where I stopped on the way home to check
for the eagles (whiff!)

Sora - within 10 feet - a first for Licking Co, although I have seen them in
the past at the Dillon Reservoir just a few miles east, but never so close

Barred owl- the first in several years - on the Marie Hickey Trail

Ruby-throated hummingbird - none in May, and 5 today - 2 males and 3 females
- what gives?

Hairy woodpecker - a female really making a racket - I wonder if a predator
was too close to her cavity?

Eastern wood-peewee

Acadian flycatcher

Willow flycatcher - a first ever at BHG; my first Licking Co. willow f/c was
last evening at the older wetlands at Dawes Arboretum, on Licking Trail near
Davis Rd.-2 in 2 days seems unbelievable to me!

Eastern phoebe

Great crested flycatcher - first of the year on Licking Co.

Cedar waxwing - apparently nesting!

House wren

Gray catbird

Wood thrush

American robin

Blue-gray gnatcatcher

Carolina chickadee

White-breasted nuthatch - feeding fledglings!

Blue jay

White-eyed vireo

Red-eyed vireo

American goldfinch

Blue-winged warbler - Marie Hickey Trail

Northern parula - both locations

Yellow warbler

American redstart

PROTHONOTARY WARBLER - male and female, and I think I know where they have
their cavity!  Why I never saw them in April or May - and I really searched
- is a real mystery, although the male was not very vocal this morning. See
postscript below.

Ovenbird - Marie Hickey Trail

Common yellowthroat

Hooded warbler - Marie Hickey Trail

Yellow-breasted chat

Scarlet tanager - Marie Hickey Trail

Eastern towhee - both locations

Song sparrow

Northern cardinal

Indigo bunting - both locations

Red-winged blackbird

Common grackle

Brown-headed cowbird

Baltimore oriole

44 birds for the day

Anyone interested in seeing my May Month List for Licking Co. (103 species)
can check out the OOS website, at

http://www.ohiobirds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1096#p1096

By the way, I made a quick trip out to the Dutch Fork Wetlands, Dawes
Arboretum yesterday evening.  Other than the willow flycatcher, mentioned
above, I didn't actually SEE anything really spectacular.  (I realize that a
willow flycatcher may not be considered very spectacular to some people, but
it was to me!)  However, I think I heard a Prothonotary warbler in the
fence-row trees that border the old wetlands along Licking Trail Road just
south of Davis Road.  The sweet-sweet-sweet call is pretty distinctive, and
I can't think of anything else it could have been.  Anyone who birds in that
general area should keep an eye out for it.  I'd love for someone to verify
this bird.

I wish you all the same joy I experienced today!  Who says birding life
stops after migration?

Margaret Bowman

Licking Co., OH