OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

From:
troy shively <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
troy shively <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2007 20:12:49 -0400
Hello all,
Yesterday my dad and I went to Kiser Lake and Davey's woods in champaign county here are the highlights for both places:

Kiser Lake
Cerulean Warbler
Kentucky Warbler
Ovenbird
Northern Parula
Yellow-Throated Warbler
American Redstart
Prothonatory Warbler
Pileated Woodpecker
GREAT EGRET

Davey woods(I was there around 9 am, I could have done better at dawn):
VEERY - multiple birds counter singing
Overbird - all over the place
Cerulean Warbler
Kentucky Warbler
Hooded Warbler
Pileated Woodpecker

Today I went to Gross Woods in Shelby County and Lawrence woods in Hardin County:

Gross woods:
Ovenbird
Kentucky Warbler(several)
American Redstart
I was there around 10 am and not much was singing.  I'm going to try to hit this place at dawn later this week.  This is the closes thing to Virgin forest I've seen in western ohio.  There are some huge trees in the area!

Lawrence Woods:
I didn't go in the woods itself since I was checking for the Scissor-tailed flycatcher which was not seen.  I did have the following along the road to the woods:

Bobolink
Grasshopper Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Henslow's Sparrowall were in good numbers....

Also.....I had a weird bird in Logan county.  I don't claim to be an expert, but I feel like I'm pretty good with bird vocalizations in Ohio.  This bird sang non-stop for the half hour I was in the area. The song was an almost EXACT match for white-crowned sparrow.  It had the same quality, pitch, and movement.  Then, I saw the bird.   I only had a brief 10 second glimpse, but the bird perched on a weed and started singing the song.  The problem was, it wasn't a white-crowned sparrow.  It had the build of a field sparrow but the facial pattern of a clay-colored sparrow.  I'm very familiar with the songs of those two birds and I've never thought they were anything like what I heard this bird singing.  So, my question is, do juvenile sparrows sing? Do they sing different songs from their parents?  I've never noticed this before.  Could this bird be a hybrid?  All I know is that if it is a white-crowned, he's about 1000 miles south of where he should be and he looks completely different.  If anyone is in the area and wants to see the bird email me or call me at 937-935-9023 and I'll give you directions.  The enigma is really bothering me.  Please give me some ideas!

Clueless as usual in Logan County,
Troy Shively