OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2007 16:27:08 -0400
This morning I checked out more areas in some of my atlas blocks near Deer Creek.

The first stop was a large field close to a square mile in size south of what the ODNR maps say is the Deer Creek Wildlife Area, but there were the yellow signs all around it saying it was a wildlife area so I had a look. That field had close to 100 singing Dickcissels and a similar number of Grasshopper Sparrows in it. There were no Savannahs, Henslow's, or Bobolinks in that field, but I did find a couple of Vesper Sparrows at the edges. I sure hope they don't plow it with cornfields next year to lure in more pheasants. Personally I'd rather see 100 Dickcissels over a few pheasants any day, but I'm not so sure the folks at ODNR feel the same way. Many Dickcissels and Grasshopper Sparrows have moved into the area since only a week ago, and I'm finding both of those species at new locations every time I go anywhere. In an adjacent small woodlot I was able to add both Yellow-throated and Red-eyed Vireos to the block and I flushed some young Great Horned Owls and got and "AB" fo
 r Cooper's Hawk near an obvious nest. Both male Bell's Vireos are still present in their same locations, but singing much less persistently. The females must be on their nests now.

Ditto what Margaret Bowman said about land owners being very welcoming. It seems that land owners who do leave some habitat here and there are interested in the wildlife in the area. One farmer who owns a tract along the Paint Creek (a tiny stream that far north) was very proud of what he had done (and he should be) let me look around. Unlike ODNR along the Deer Creek, he didn't plant cornfields along the creek and let some grasses grow. Today it was filled with Grasshopper Sparrows and Dickcissels that weren't there only last week.

In another of my blocks there is an active limestone quarry. I wasn't expecting to be allowed access, but today one of the workers showed me around and had me sign a liability form so I can visit again later in the week during the morning.  There is a lot of fascinating habitat there and I can't wait to check it out. From my quick glance I did see a large active Bank Swallow colony.

Please email me if you want directions to anything and are willing to do atlas work while you're there.

Bob Royse