OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2007 18:41:04 EDT
I was committed to volunteer away from the nature preserve this morning so  I
didn't get out to monitor any blocks until this afternoon. Shaune Skinner
joined me and we headed into the back country of Area N at the preserve. Area N
currently resembles a maternity ward. There are birds nesting  and feeding
fledglings everywhere. Some of the fledglings we observed harassing the adults
for food were Downy Woodpecker, Northern Flicker, Tree Swallow, Carolina
Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Wood Thrush and Prothonotary
Warbler. We also watched a pair of Red-eyed Vireo’s collecting nest materials
and a Ruby-throated Hummingbird sitting on her nest. The lack of rain has
lowered the water level so much that we were able to walk to areas that in a
normal year would have water chest-high.

Some of the species we observed today were:
Great Blue Heron
Green  Heron
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Ruby-throated Hummingbird