OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

From:
Richard Counts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Counts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 12:15:17 -0500
While checking a newly developed Purple Martin colony at Rick Webers', the caretaker of the Longbrake wetlands, I was pleased to hear the song of an UPLAND SANDPIPER! I finally found him 60 ft. overhead circling with outstretched wings, slowing descending to the ground. When he landed in a short grassed field, he was soon joined by another Upland. This area looks like ideal breeding habitat.
  I have yet to obtain permission to bird the impoundments at Longbrakes from the new owner, so I can't be certain if the WILSON'S PHALAROPES are trying to breed there this year. The nesting area used last year is dried up this year, so I'm afraid that they may have moved on.
  Also no sign of the GREEN WINGED TEAL this year who bred there last year.
  Take caution when visiting this area. I suggest the birding be done from the road, and at this time avoid trespassing. Hopefully something will be worked out in the near future.

Rick Counts
Wyandot Co.