OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 13:46:40 -0400
        Following days of rumors public and private, uncertain reports, etc.,
Troy Shively and I were able to get brief access to an area where one
Mississippi kite (or perhaps two, this is not established) has been
reported recently in order to document it; we were not able to confirm
nesting status. Groundskeepers at the Brass Ring Golf Course in Hocking
Co. described for us an unusual raptor seen in the area for at least
three weeks. Before golfers hit the links, we got two looks at single
kites, one little more than a glance, and a second where we got many
photos. Troy thought he may have seen two birds on the second occasion,
but we could not confirm this; one could have been a crow. We briefed
employees on signs of potential nesting, and got promises they'd share
reports.
        We made these sightings in an area of the golf course where one
employee had seen the species more often than elsewhere. Because it's
private property, we were told the owners will not continue to allow the
public to wander around inside looking for birds. Fortunately this area
is easily viewed from a lightly-used public road. We were also told that
golfers, or presumably folks who just rent a cart, are welcome to follow
any paved trails on the course. A number of sightings of the kite(s)
have also been made far from the golf course along 328 out to 33, and
even as far away as 93.
        We saw a bird for less than ten minutes in 2 1/2 hours of careful
looking before golfers arrived, but we did have those two sightings.
Birders may rent a cart and drive around looking, but directions to a
good vantage point to duplicate our sightings follow. Off 33 at the next
exit (for 328) south of Logan, turn right, and go ~half a mile, where
the entrance to the Brass Ring is obvious. Take a right on Keller Road
at this point; this green sign is faded, but there is a newer one with
"Camp Beckoning Trails" beneath it. A split-rail fence on the left side
of the road is the golf course boundary. Follow it 4/10 mi+ till the
split-rail fence ends (there's parking for a couple vehicles at a locked
gate). Here, the area across the fence is where we had sightings.  Look
especially at bare limbs in deciduous trees for perched birds, and of
course also aloft; a scope is necessary from here, as it was for us.
Employees told us kites have sometimes been seen on the greens/fairways
as well, capturing insects. Do not trespass. Keep an eye out for kites
in the air anywhere within several miles of this location. Kites often
follow insects as they rise with increasing temperatures through the day.
        As for nesting status, *please* announce if you see any signs thereof;
the course groundskeeping crew now knows what to look for, and will do
likewise. The most likely sign would be of a kite carrying anything that
it's not actively eating. Such a lengthy stay, and the fact that at
least one credible witness has reported two birds, suggests possible
nesting. This would be a first state breeding record; kites are known to
nest not far off in KY and IN. Kites incubate eggs for ~30 days, and ~34
more are required for fledging of young, so the chances are good for
confirming nesting, if it's taken place, over the coming weeks.
Best of luck to all,
Bill Whan
Columbus