OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

From:
Ruth Richards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ruth Richards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2007 16:03:19 -0700
I arrived at the park before 8am.  I knew it would be
a great day as soon as I turned onto the entrance road
and saw an Orchard Oriole feeding two fledglings (a
young Cowbird was in the mix, but I didn't see it
being fed).  I took the meadow trail (left) and soon
felt some raindrops.  By the time I was halfway along
the trail, there was a steady light rain; but
overhanging trees and forest paths kept me dry (if not
warm).  It took three hours to complete the mile and a
quarter, but I stop often and wait for the birds to
appear.  I wasn't disappointed.  After lunch and a nap
in my van I took the ridge trail (to the right), which
was another mile and a quarter and took another three
hours.  I visited the wetland overlook (at the Ranger
Station) when I arrived and when I left.  The
afternoon was wonderful...beautiful and sunny.  I saw
many fledglings being fed by busy parents.  I've put
an asterisk next to each species I saw feeding young.
I saw lots of wildlife, too.  I highly recommend this
park.  I saw:

Great Blue Heron - 1
Green Heron - 1
Turkey Vulture
Red-tailed Hawk - being harrassed by smaller birds
Killdeer - 2
Belted Kingfisher - 1 male
Red-bellied Woodpecker
*Downy Woodpecker
Eastern Wood-Pewee - 2
Eastern Phoebe - 1
Eastern Kingbird - 5
White-eyed Vireo - 1, singing
Red-eyed Vireo - 1, singing
Blue Jay
American Crow - 6
Tree Swallow
Barn Swallow
*Carolina Chickadee
*Tufted Titmouse
*White-breasted Nuthatch
House Wren - 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 1
Eastern Bluebird - 1\
Wood Thrush - 1, singing
*American Robin
Gray Catbird
Brown Thrasher - 6
Cedar Waxwing - 6
Blue-winged Warbler - 1 bright male, singing
Yellow Warbler - 1
Kentucky Warbler - 1, singing, performing for me
Common Yellowthroat - lots
Yellow-breasted Chat - 2, 1 close-up
Eastern Towhee - 2m, 2f
Chipping Sparrow
*Field Sparrow - lots
*Song Sparrow
*Northern Cardinal
Rose-breasted Grosbeak - 1m
Indigo Bunting - 2m, singing
*Red-winged Blackbird
Brown-headed Cowbird
Orchard Oriole - 2m, 2juv
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Other Wildlife:

Raccoon - a very young one curled into a ball taking a
nap in the middle of the path.  When nudged it woke
up.  I couldn't resist petting it before it waddled
into the bushes.  Hope its mother found it.

Mink - crossed the path

Deer - 1 adult; later a young fawn which watched with
big-eyed wonder as I talked to it before it finally
bounded away; later 2 more adults; later two more
fawns, older than the first.

Squirrels - both gray and orange

Chipmunk - and a baby chipmunk later

Groundhog - several, plus several little ones

Rabbit - several young ones

Also a large frog, lots of butterflies, a snail
crossing the path, and few (thankfully) insects.