OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

From:
"Lehman, Jay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lehman, Jay
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2007 08:47:08 -0400
Howdy All,

I arrived in Fort Jefferson at about 7:50 pm and found one of the
Eurasian Collared-Doves sitting on the power line east of the
intersection of Weavers-Fort Jefferson Road and Rt. 121.  The bird flew
out to the north, circled back and landed on the top of the first power
pole on the right (south) side of Weavers-Fort Jefferson Road.  It
proceeded to put on a show by singing ('coo COOO cup', as described by
Sibley) with its head lowered and throat puffing out.  When I got out of
my van and took one photo, the bird flew north and disappeared behind
the trees.  I drove around the area looking for the bird without finding
anything but Mourning Doves.  However, at about 8:30 pm, the Eurasian
Collared Dove was back on top of the same power pole.  This time I
stayed in my van and shot some photos out the window.  I wasn't able to
photograph the tail and the underside of the tail.  However, the key
features were easy to see--the black underneath on the sides of the
tail, the lighter color in the middle of the underside of the tail to
the tip, the large white "patches" along the tip of the tail on either
side of the central "stripe" and the thin black line that extends along
the outside of the tail a short distance toward the rump, i.e. the outer
web of outer tail feather.  In flight, it showed the characteristic
darker primaries and the gray bar on the upper wing surface.  The people
who live on the south side of the intersection were friendly and
interested, so I signed their book, gave them more information about the
bird, how people find out about the bird (as they were curious) and
showed them the pictures in Sibley's Field Guide.  This is a really god
bird for the state of Ohio!  Thanks to all those, who reported before me
and gave directions.

Note that the road names can be confusing, if you are searching in
MapQuest, for example.  MapQuest did not find this intersection for me,
as the previously reported Weaver Station-Fort Jefferson Road and Route
121.  It did find the east west road in Fort Jefferson that crosses Rt.
121 as Weavers-Fort Jefferson Road.  There is a Weaver Station Road
further west that runs north and south, but it does not intersect Route
121.  According to MapQuest, Weavers-Fort Jefferson Road goes through
Weavers and to the west of Weavers intersects Weaver Station Road

Jay

Jay G. Lehman

Cincinnati, OH