OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

From:
Paul Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2007 08:19:43 -0700
Hey Andi,

Violet-green swallows are denizens of the Rocky Mountain states and
westward. There is only one accepted record of its occurrence in Ohio.
Ohio's typical colorful swallow is the tree swallow, and it is
superficially similar to the violet-green. It commonly uses nest boxes, so
it's a likely candidate for nesting in someones yard, and they are quite
common over our local reservoirs this time of year. I suspect this is your
bird.

Here's a link to a picture of the tree swallow:
www.geocities.com/tgrey41/Pages/TreeSwallowp.html

Google images will yield a number of photos of tree and violet-green
swallows, so you can make your own comparisons.

Thanks for posting,
Paul

--- Andi Wolfe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I was at O'Shaughnessy Reservoir yesterday for our departmental picnic.
> Flying along the shore from our picnic site at the freshwater mussel
> research facility were several violet-green swallows.  One of my
> colleagues,
> an avid birder, said he had a pair nesting in his yard in Dublin, OH.
>
> Anyone else seen these in the Dublin, OH area?
>
> Andi
>
> --
> Andi Wolfe
> www.AndiWolfe.com

> Additional discussions can be found in our forums, at
> www.ohiobirds.org/forum/.

Paul Gardner
Columbus, OH