OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

From:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 22:11:50 -0400
Hi all,

The Ohio Ornithological Society, Black Swamp Bird Observatory, and the
Toledo Naturalists' Association are pleased to announce our upcoming warbler
symposium, to be held September 8 and 9 at Lakeside, Ohio, on the shores of
Lake Erie.

Details are up and available on the OOS website at:
http://www.ohiobirds.org/calendar/society_events/current/Lakeside/about.php

We're pleased to have a great lineup of speakers, including Jon Dunn, Kenn
Kaufman, Elliot Tramer, and Bill Evans. Jon wrote "Warblers" along with
Kimball Garrett - the ultimate guide to North American warblers. Kenn
certainly needs no introduction here, and Bill Evans is the premier
researcher of night calls and studies involving nocturnal passerine
migrations by using sounds to determine what birds are passing over in the
evening. Elliot is a professor at the University of Toledo, longtime Ohio
birder, and has made many travels to Central America where he has studied
"our" warblers in their tropical haunts.

We are especially excited to have as our keynote speaker Victor Emanuel,
founder of VENT. This is one of the oldest and most respected eco-tour
companies, and Victor has traveled widely throughout the world, which has
given him a big picture perspective on our globe-trotting warblers. Read
more about our speakers at the link above.

The second day includes field trips with experts to the best birding locales
on the shores of Lake Erie, at the absolute peak of fall migration for
warblers. Descriptions of the trips are also on the website.

I hope to see you there!

Jim McCormac

Columbus, Ohio