OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

From:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:31:21 -0400
Several of us saw the famous Mississippi kite at the usual location - the
Brass Ring golf course near Logan.  (Refer to earlier emails or contact me
directly for location details.)  The bird put in two good appearances: first
flying from the golf course across the road that runs along the side of the
course at about 1:30; the second time soaring near the course and eventually
flying over it (this time with prey of some kind in its talons) at about
2:00.  I also had a very brief look at a low, quick flight over the road
alongside the course at about 2:30.

The first two sightings were from the road just to the right of the entrance
to the course along the split rail fence.  The final brief one was near the
steel gate at the back of the course.

Mary and I also determined that the lounge in the course clubhouse is pretty
deserted around 2:45 pm, is well air conditioned, and has cold sodas and
nice bathrooms.  Interestingly, the maintenance people on the course knew
about the kite -- one of them came by the fence top advise us that the bird
had been seen several times near the back of the course -- but the young
lady in the lounge had not heard of it.  She seemed impressed that birders
might spend a few bucks in the lounge buying cold drinks after a hot day
looking for a bird!

--
Bill Heck