OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

From:
Bruce Glick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Glick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2007 09:23:36 -0700
Three young birders and this old one spent Thursday morning at Mohican State Park. Total of 16 warbler species, best being 3 Magnolias. 20 warblers would have been possible if we would have chased the rest down nearby, but the vote was to head to Logan. We also found several Golden-crowned Kinglets some distance away from the probably nesting trees.

  Three hours late, a Mississippi Kite soared over the golf course for us around after a 90 minute wait, including a short period of rain. While waiting for the kite, I heard a Summer Tanager calling close-by. It was a female and spent 5 minutes or so in the pines between fairways, right in front of us - at the end of the split rail fence along the edge of the golf course. A Broad-winged Hawk came close overhead, carrying what looked like a mouse.

  At home this morning there were two young fledgling Rose-breasted Grosbeaks on our hanging platform feeder, being fed by both adult birds. The youngsters just sat there waiting while the parents cracked sunflower seeds for them. Nice..

  Bruce Glick

  Bruce

  Bruce Glick
  Millersburg, Ohio