OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

From:
Terry Sponseller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terry Sponseller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2007 16:23:53 -0400
We tried for the Eurasian Collared-Doves this morning.  Our first stop was in Fort Jefferson, Darke County.  After looking for a while we went to a house on the corner and talked to the lady keeping the list.  She had not seen or heard them today or yesterday but said we could sit and watch for them to appear.  We waited until 10:00 am with no luck so we went to check in the town of West Manchester, Preble County. This is the site Tom Bartlett reported on yesterday.
After driving around for a short while,  we finally spotted a pair on one of the poles behind the post office.  Then it seemed as if they were all over the place. We had them on poles,  wires,  antennas and in trees.  There was a pair copulating and several single birds.  Not sure how many doves are in this town.  If you are planning to go after these birds,  I recommend the West Manchester location.

Terry and Barb Sponseller
Canton,Ohio