OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

From:
Rob Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2007 05:39:50 -0400
For those of you in central Ohio looking for grassland birds (and not having the time to get out to the Wilds or Tri-Valley), Glacier Ridge MetroPark has a good selection right now.  The best spot is the north loop of the Multi-Purpose Trail (north of the Windmill), which has developed into an outstanding grassland area, even down to small little 'prairie potholes' designed into it.  In the surrounding grasslands were 5-6 singing Grasshopper Sparrows, a similar # of Savannah Sparrows, 2 Henslow's Sparrows, 2-3 Field Sparrows (at the wooded margins), and 4+ Bobolinks.  All of these birds were easily visible, even the Henslows; in fact, I almost ran down fighting Savannah sparrows on my bike.  No Dickcissels yet, but this is shaping up to be a poor-to-mediocre year for them here so far.  The area is also reliable for 1-2 Vesper Sparrows, but I couldn't hear them singing this morning.  The site should also be good for Sedge Wrens, but they often don't arrive for another week or
 so. The ponds had Green Heron, Kildeer, Mallards, N.Shoveler, Blue-winged Teal, & Coot,.  Willow Flycatchers and E. KIngbirds were calling in the few edge saplings, a Mockingbird sang from anearby fencerow, and Red-winged Blackbirds were all over.

The nearby woodlots along the Multi-Purpose Trail had the usual assortment of woodpeckers (with lots of fledgelings),chickadees, pewees, and Red-eyed vireos, along with a calling Red-shouldered Hawk and singing Summer Tanager (both in the woodlot southeast of the main parking area).  Twin Lakes Park (a few miles to the east, along O'Shaughnessy Reservoir) added most of the locally-common riparian birds including singing Prothonotary & Parula Warblers, many Acadian flycatchers, 2 dueling Yellow-billed Cuckoos, and Warbling Vireos.

Rob Thorn
EarthLink Revolves Around You.