OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2007 15:16:24 EDT
Today Dr. Ransome Williams joined me for a day at the Hoover Nature
Preserve. Each spring Ransome likes to come to the preserve to enjoy the  Prothonotary
Warblers and then kid a friend who lives in the southwest that has  never
seen one. Ransome is a wonderful gentleman and we have a great time as I  take
him about the preserve.

The Prothonotary Warblers were their cooperative selves and put on a show
for us. I had my camera with me and took what I hope to be great pictures of
them at nest boxes, natural cavities and perching in the open to sing for us. We
 easily passed double-digits for the Prothonotary Warblers, however, our
other  target species for the morning decided not to be as cooperative. We heard
numerous Yellow-billed Cuckoos, some as close as ten feet away, but in thick
enough that we couldn't get a decent look at them. The one that did come out,
did so as it flew away from us. I guess we could sub-title it the  “
going-away-bird”.

The Osprey at Area M was standing over the nest and appeared to be feeding
the hatchlings.

Species of interest we observed included:
Double-crested  Cormorant
Green Heron
Wood Duck
Osprey