OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2007 14:24:52 -0400
Hello!

Now that the spring migration scene has wound down, yesterday Ken Davis and I hiked all of the trails at Clear Creek Metro Park where the birding Gods were smiling on us as it did not rain the entire day and the temperature stayed in the low 70's.  During our trek, we saw and/or heard 19 out of the 21 warbler species that nest there or reportedly have nested there at least once in the past.  The two that we missed were Golden-Winged Warbler and Chestnut-Sided Warbler.  The warbler species observed included the following:

OVENBIRD-numerous throughout the wooded sections of the park
CANADA WARBLER-observed 1 male in their traditional nesting area along the Hemlock Trail
WORM-EATING WARBLER-observed 1 near the Canada, heard 4 or 5 elsewhere in the wooded portions
COMMON YELLOWTHROAT-common in the fields near Clear Creek
YELLOW WARBLER-likewise
YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER-heard 2 or 3 in the sycamores along Clear Creek
LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH-3 or 4 along Clear Creek, 1 along the ravine next to the Fern Trail
AMERICAN REDSTART-several along Clear Creek, 3 or 4 up in the wooded portions
BLUE-WINGED WARBLER-2 along the Prairie Warbler trail and the Good Prairie loop, heard 1 near the Chestnut Trail intersection with the Cemetery Ridge Trail, and heard 1 along upper Fern Trail
PRAIRIE WARBLER-saw/heard 3 or 4 in the fields/pines near the Chestnut Trail intersection with the Cemetery Ridge Trail
BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLER-heard several in the wooded portions of the park
HOODED WARBLER-saw/heard numerous in the wooded portions
KENTUCKY WARBLER-heard/saw 1 up along east section of Cemetery Ridge Trail, saw/heard 1 along the Tulip Tree Trail, heard 1 along Chestnut Trail at end of pet trail section (gravel road), and heard 1 near the Thomas and Mathias cabin parking area
YELlOW-BREASTED CHAT-saw 1 heard another in the field east of the Fern Trail parking area
CERULEAN WARBLER-saw 1 at beginning of W. Creekside Trail, heard several elsewhere
BLACK AND WHITE WARBLER-saw/heard several throughout wooded portions
NORTHERN PARULA-saw 1 heard 3 along the Creekside trails
MAGNOLIA WARBLER-saw 1 along the Fern Trail just uphill of the 1st left turn of the loop
PINE WARBLER-saw 1 heard another along top of Cemetery Ridge, saw 1 along Chestnut Trail at end of pet trail section (gravel road), and heard 1 at Barnabey picnic area

Other notable birds seen and/or heard included the following:

WOOD THRUSH-numerous in wooded areas
VEERY-super close up view of 1 singing along Creekside Trail, saw/heard 2 or 3 along the main road
WHITE-EYED VIREO-saw/heard several primarily in the non-wooded portions of the park
RED-EYED VIREO-saw 1 or 2, heard numerous throughout the park
SCARLET TANAGER-saw/heard several throughout the park
HERMIT THRUSH-saw 1 heard 2 singing along Hemlock Trail, heard 2 more singing along Fern Trail
YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO-heard 1 along Tulip Tree Trail
GREAT-CRESTED FLYCATCHER-heard 1 along Tulip Tree Trail
INDIGO BUNTING-saw/heard several primarily in the non-wooded portions of the park
YELLOW-THROATED VIREO-saw 1 at Barnabey picnic area, heard 4 or 5 throughout the park
SWAMP SPARROW-saw 1 close up along E. Creekside Trail
WILLOW FLYCATCHER-saw 1 heard 1 or 2 along both Creekside Trails
ACADIAN FLYCATCHER-heard many throughout the wooded portion of the park
EASTERN PHOEBE-saw 1 heard another along Clear Creek
EASTERN WOOD PEE WEE-heard several in wooded portions
TREE SWALLOW-some along Creekside trails
NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOW-some along Creekside trails
EASTERN BLUEBIRD-one up at beginning of Chestnut Trail by Prairie Warblers
RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD
PILEATED WOODPECKER-heard 1
CHIMNEY SWIFT
BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER
CEDAR WAXWING-heard several throughout the park

The day ended nicely as we encountered much needed rain as we drove back north into the Columbus area.  Clear Creek hands down is my favorite central Ohio Metro Park.  Directions to Clear Creek and a park map of the trails are at www.metroparks.net.

Rob Lowry
Powell, Ohio