OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

From:
Richard Cressman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2007 19:21:52 -0400
Hi,
My number 1 spot to sit and watch the birds is the nature center at
Highbanks Metro Park on No. High St. Another good place is Blendon woods
MP off Rt 161 East of  Westerville.  There you can sit indoors with your
books and watch the birds. It is easy to get from one to the other via
the Polaris Expressway /Maxtown Rd to Sunbury Rd (at Hoover dam), then
down that  to 161 and then east to Blendon (a lot of construction here,
so be alert). This would also allow a stop at the waterfront/boat landing
at Hoover (by the dam) which might produce some waterfowl of interest.
Bonaparts Gulls and terns are possible. Coots might still be there. Since
I don't know what he has seen, I don't know what birds might be new. The
parks assistants are very helpful. Blacklick part in the southeast can be
good at times. Glacier Ridge to the northwest can also be interesting,
but is a little far out if you have limited time. Pickerington Ponds
might have some interesting waterfowl, but usually they are so far out
that a scope is needed. Also, if you take the route above, a few miles
north of where Maxtown Rd meets Sunbury is Mudhen marsh. This is a small
part. I might have some interesting things in the morning. I haven't had
very good luck in the afternoon.

In Columbus, itself, if he wants to see Cliff Swallows, very good looks
can be had at Dodge Park. They nest under I-70. This is accessed by going
south on McDowell St. which can be accessed at any intersection from W.
Broad St. southward, major streets being Town and  Rich (which also
intersect the freeway, Rt 315. So it is rather easily accessed from
freeways from any direction.

Also the Yellow-crowned Night Herons are easy to see in Bexley (down
Preston Rd off Broad St.). But since he is from Georgia, these are rather
common in the south and he might have already seen them.

See the site for the parks. .

http://www.metroparks.net/MapLocations.aspx

You give a Cincinnati address. Are your driving up from there or are you
visiting someone here. Or maybe picking him up at the airport.
I could give more specifics if you want if you get back to me before
about 10:30 this evening.
I might be able to give you a call, in it would help.

Rich

Richard Cressman
Columbus OH
www.sbgcc.org