OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2007 19:08:05 EDT
Today I hosted Judy Richardson at the Hoover Nature Preserve. Judy was
interested in seeing some Prothonotary Warblers and they decided to cooperate.  We
visited 3 of the areas where I have nest boxes with great success. We
observed  45 Prothonotary Warblers and heard about an additional 35 singing  males.
But I think the highlight for Judy was watching the Prothonotary Warblers
coming and going from several of the natural cavities. At one location we sat on
a well situated log within 25 feet of the nest site and watched the pair at
the  cavity entrance. Eventually the female entered the cavity and stayed and
the  male then made repeated trips back to the cavity with insects and entered
over  half way with his tail sticking out and then left without the insects. It
 appeared that he was bringing the insects to the female.

We were distracted at this location as we were surrounded  by about 5  other
singing males that kept flying past us. Added to this were the appearance  of
a male and female Northern Parula, a Cerulean Warbler and a Yellow-throated
Warbler. The last and most interesting distraction was when we discovered a
Ruby-throated Hummingbird building its nest on a branch of a Sycamore  Tree.

The area also appears to be home to Red-headed Woodpeckers as we observed a
nice individual. Yellow-billed Cuckoos were calling everywhere but we only
managed glimpses of a couple of them.

We stopped at the bridge at Area I and watched the Cliff Swallows coming  and
going from under the bridge. Looking down at these birds gives a different
perspective and makes you realize how handsome the species is. We also found a
Wood Duck hen with her ducklings at Area I.

The day was a lot of fun as the weather was comfortable with mild
temperatures and a slight breeze.

Some species of interest observed included:
Double-crested Cormorant  (3)
Great Blue Heron
Green Heron    (6)
Wood  Duck
Osprey    (2)
Yellow-billed  Cuckoo    (2)
Ruby-throated  Hummingbird    (Building nest)
Belted  Kingfisher
Red-headed Woodpecker    (1)
Eastern  Wood-Pewee
Acadian Flycatcher