OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

From:
Brad Bolton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brad Bolton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2007 23:09:16 -0400
Indeed, so have I in Kent, OH.  I've put out feeders for several years,
and kept records of the rate of nectar consumption.  This is the
lightest year I've had.  Also, sightings at the feeder are by far the
lightest I've ever had (one is at my office window, so it gets monitored
all day).

A caveat - I've found (through this list) that there is a high degree of
variability in hummer activity at people's feeders.  Two years ago I
reported much higher activity at the feeders than previous years.
Others reported more activity, or the same, or less activity.  Also, I
could find no area of the state where increased activity was
concentrated.  It will be interesting to see how others will report on
their feeders this year.

Had a cool yard bird during migration peak - Swainson's Thrush.  This is
a suburban area with small lots and dense housing, although there is a
woods a couple blocks away.

Brad Bolton