OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2007 16:44:43 EDT
Today I hosted Gary Moon at the Hoover Nature Preserve. Gary is a recent
addition to our wonderful obsession, birding.  I took Gary to various  locations
within the preserve to acclimate him to the preserve’s layout.   We added some
nice birds to Gary’s life list and we did it with style. Of course  I made
sure to include the Prothonotary Warblers. Today we were satisfied with  18 as
compared to yesterday’s 45 observed. But I would have to rate the  following as
highlights for the day:  (1) at the third pond at Hoover  Meadows we caught
an American Bittern in the open. It immediately took the  classic pose and
lifted its head skyward to try to blend in with the grasses and  reeds. It
eventually slipped a little further into the reeds and crouched. On  our way back we
again located and watched it. (2) in Area N we watched a  Ruby-throated
Hummingbird working on its nest construction. What had been merely  the base on the
tree branch yesterday is already about a 75 percent  completed nest. She would
bring in material, strategically place it and then  settle in the nest and
shape the material into place, then head off for more  material. (3) a male
Northern Parula that worked a low branch of a Sycamore tree  in front of us. It
had really rich colors and Gary got a good look at the  olive-green saddle on
its back. (4) Prothonotary Warblers coming and going from  several of the
natural cavities. An added bonus from the last was my locating  several new natural
cavity Prothonotary  Warbler nest sites bringing this  year’s current total
territories up to 131 at the preserve.

Some species of interest observed included:
Double-crested Cormorant
AMERICAN BITTERN
Great Blue Heron
Green Heron