OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

From:
Rob Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2007 01:33:53 -0400
Now is one of the most interesting times, especially during these OBBA2 years.  This is when the migrants start to clear out, leaving the potential breeding pioneers behind.  We always have to wonder a bit when we see 'late migrants' whether they're still migrants.  From several short trips yesterday & today I offer up a few examples.  Migrant or pioneer?  You be the judge.

Ovenbirds - this has not been a boon year for them so far in central Ohio.  Few are around their handful of traditional central Ohio breeding areas (Blendon Woods, Slate Run, Pickerington Woods, Seymour Woods), so I was surprised to find 1 singing in a small woodlot in West Columbus (Prairie Lincoln Woods)  yesterday.  Migrant or Pioneer?  I can't say, but I'll make a repeat visit to see if he sticks around.

Mourning Warblers - - in contrast, this was a good migration year for this species.  A surprising pair were in this same woodlot yesterday.  Given that they're traditional late migrants, and that none breed remotely close to central Ohio, it would seem that these were migrants.  But they do breed sparingly in far NE Ohio, and you never really know, especially given that this was a pair.  The female was tail-less, which could be slowing her migration.

Blackpoll -- a male singing this morning in the riparian woods of Pizzuro Park in Gahanna was almost unquestionably a migrant.  This is often one of the latest warbler migrants here, no breeding records exist for Ohio, and the habitat was all wrong for this boreal warbler.

Parula Warbler - a male singing in the same gernal area as the Blackpoll was likely a pioneer.  Parulas have gone from rare to uncommon along Columbus-area riparian corridors in the last 2 years, and at least 3 pair nested within a mile of this singer's location.  Even though no Parulas were here last year, the habitat looks perfect, and I hope this bird can attract a mate and add to our 'burgeoning' Parula population.

Chesnut-sided - a male singing in Gahanna Woods this morning.  Likely a migrant, but Chesnut-sideds are a conundrum here.  They don't breed too far away (in the Hocking Hills and the Mansfield area), and the woodland edge habitat they like is common in central Ohio, including where I found him this morning.  The potential for a pioneer is definitely there.

Hooded Warbler - a male singing in Gahanna Woods this morning.  These birds are regular pioneers to many of the large forest patches around Columbus, and I would expect this bird to fall in that category.   Gahanna Woods appears to offer good habitat for them, but has only attracted them 2 of the last 6 years.  This appears to be a good year for them, however, and nearby Blendon Woods appears to have 3-4 birds on territory already.

Rob Thorn
EarthLink Revolves Around You.