OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

Date:
Sat, 9 Jun 2007 18:12:43 EDT
Hi, all--

Saturday, 6/9/07
7:00 a.m. to 11: 30 a.m.

----------

A pleasant morning of relief from the heat and pollen, brought about by the
cold front that lambasted Wooster with rain, wind, downed trees and power
outages.

Went to MOHICAN STATE FOREST (DeLorme page 49, C/D-7) with Leroy and Norman
Troyer, of Fredericksburg.

We walkd from the covered bridge to the dam and back, then from the
downstream edge of the primitive campground we walked about 45 minutes and back.

----------
Among the notables, 8 species of warbler, 3 vireos:

    -- ** CERULEAN WARBLER:  very good looks, vocalizations; downriver from
the primitive campground below the covered bridge

    -- **WORM-EATING WARBLER:  single male, on territory, pointed out by
another group; along trail from covered bridge to Pleasant Hill Dam; fantastic
looks, vocalizations

    -- YELLOW-THROATED VIREO:  heard, then seen; single singing male

Other warblers:
- Canada (seen)
- Northern Parula (heard only)
- Black-throated Green (heard only)
- American Redstart (seen)
- Louisiana Waterthrush (scads, everywhere along the river)
- Hooded Warbler (several heard, none seen)

-------------
Also:

Winter Wren also heard singing enthusiastically as usual

Cliff Swallows just outside Fredericksburg

Horned Lark (always a good bird for me), outside Fredericksburg

Probably a dozen Veery

Scads of ACADIAN FLYCATCHERS (a lifer for me, thanks to the elder Troyer)

All told, 52 species, one lifer, and many year-listers.  If you live near the
park, it's well worth the effort.  Very few canoers/hikers, an exceptionally
pleasant morning.

Scott H.
Wooster