OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

[log in to unmask][log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of
James Thurston
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2007 10:04 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [Ohio-birds] Grandview Nighthawks

A general rule of thumb is anywhere where there are a lot of flat roofs.
There are some nesting on the roof of the brewery district Kroger if you
want an easy spot. [...]45_8Jun200710:31:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2007 18:41:17 EDT
Today Linda joined me at the preserve as I went back to see how the
Ruby-throated Hummingbird I've been watching  was coming along. Last  Tuesday she
began creating the base of her nest and this afternoon Linda and I  watched her
sitting in the nest.  The nest is situated out on a branch,  about two feet
above a creek, with a sprig of leaves over her that provides both  shade and
camouflage.

While at this little piece of Eden I've discovered in the preserve we were
able to also watch the closest Prothonotary Warbler coming and going from its
cavity in an old stump. Sometimes I think they recognize me after twenty years
 of working with them. They don't mind my presence and often come extremely
close, like hopping between my boots. It’s a different perspective to view a
Prothonotary Warbler between your field glasses and your stomach.

As we sat there I heard the Northern Parula that has its territory
overlapping the Prothonotary‘s. He called and then dropped down and foraged in  front
of us for about thirty minutes, gathering  insects, flying off and  returning,
time after time. He perched in front of us and sang with his field  marks
clear to the naked eye, doing a 360 to ensure we didn't miss  anything.

Several other Prothonotary Warblers with abutting territories sang and
flitted about for us to see. It’s nice to have some undisturbed habitat where  you
can sit and enjoy nature as it should be.

Birds seen or heard (H) at this location were:
Great Blue Heron
Green  Heron
Red-tailed  Hawk    (Likely Nesting)
Mourning  Dove    (Nesting)
Black-billed  Cuckoo (H)    (Right over our heads but we couldn't get  a
clean look)
Yellow-billed Cuckoo    (Liekly  Nesting)
Ruby-throated Hummingbird    (Nesting)
Belted  Kingfisher    (Nesting)
Red-bellied  Woodpecker    (Nesting)
Downy  Woodpecker    (Nesting)
Acadian  Flycatcher    (Nesting)
Great Crested  Flycatcher    (Nesting)
Blue  Jay    (Likely Nesting)
Carolina  Chickadee    (Nesting)
Tufted  Titmouse    (Nesting)
White-breasted  Nuthatch    (Nesting)
Blue-gray  Gnatcatcher    (Nesting)
Wood  Thrush    (Nesting)
American  Robin    (Nesting)
Gray  Catbird    (Nesting)
Cedar  Waxwing
Warbling Vireo    (Likely  Nesting)
Red-eyed Vireo    (Likely Nesting)
Northern  Parula    (Likely Nesting)
Yellow-throated  Warbler    (Likely Nesting)
Prothonotary  Warbler    (Nesting)
Louisiana  Waterthrush (H)    (Likely Nesting)
Northern  Cardinal    (Nesting)
Common  Grackle    (Nesting)
Brown-headed  Cowbird    (UGH)
Baltimore  Oriole    (Likely Nesting)