OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2007 14:16:03 EDT
This morning was the quietest day I've had since March. Linda accompanied  me
as I monitored another area for the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas Project. We only
 turned 10 Prothonotary Warblers, 9 of which I had previously identified. The
 females are either laying their eggs or already beginning incubating so
things  are less frantic. Great Crested Flycatchers were in good numbers as we
observed  11 in all and located 2 nest sites. Green Herons are active and we
observed one  that may have taken on more than it should, It had a catfish about 8
inches long  and how it could possibly get it down is beside me. The cuckoos
were teasing as  numerous were heard but none would come out in the open. I
guess I surpassed my  quota with the cooperation they gave me last week.

We later visited Hoover Meadows to see if we could locate the American
Bittern I saw last week. No bird this morning but I'll keep checking as I would
like to include it in the Atlas census even if only as a vagrant summer
visitor.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve
Delorme 58 C (2) & (3)