OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

From:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:17:16 -0400
Hello everyone!

First off, I would like to thank everyone who has been atlasing so far this
summer.  To date, we're just shy of the 60,000 observation mark!  This is
huge and this only represents observations submitted electronically.  We
still have a large file of hardcopy data submissions that were sent to us on
field cards that haven't been entered yet.

As a reminder, please consider submitting your 2006 breeding bird
observations as soon as possible.  First, the sooner you compile and submit
your observations the more likely you will be to remember pertinent details
that may need to be included with the observations.  I'm also frequently
asked if the website will take observations of '06 birds even though it's
now '07.  The answer is YES.  Even if it's 2010, the website will still take
'06 data as long as it's up and running.

Secondly, the sooner you get your data entered (especially from blocks that
you or others don't own) the less likely these areas will be double sampled.
Many atlasers may look at the website to figure out where there are areas
that have no data and will never register to officially "own" those blocks.
We actually encourage this form of atlasing but it will be more efficient if
the website shows where ALL data is located.  Revisiting blocks will be
important to get more breeding confirmations and to add new species, but it
would be a waste to invest several hours in a block that shows NO data only
to find that there was already 25 to 30 hours of atlasing effort there with
a complete species list.

Also, if you'd prefer to submit data on hardcopy field checklists, we will
take whatever you have.  Data submission on the website is not required
although we encourage you to at least check it out and try to navigate
around the site.  We now have a data entry tutorial that explains the
website in detail.  I will be working to get this posted to our atlasing
materials section (http://www.ohiobirds.org/obba2/) in the coming weeks.  In
the mean time, send me a quick note if you would like a hardcopy of this
document to aid in the data entry process.  I'll mail one right out.  I'll
also send you whatever field cards that you need.

I would also like to express special thanks to everyone who has been
planning blockbusting events.  From the sound of it, everyone has been
having a blast with these events.  As Brad Sparks just mentioned, these
events will be crucial to getting complete coverage of the state in five
years.  They are simply tons of fun!  I had the privilege of hanging out
with some of the talented Ohio young birders this weekend out in Guernsey
County for the Ohio Young Birder's Club blockbusting trip.  In just a day
and a half, we covered 8 blocks and ended up with 86 species and many great
confirmations.  Most interesting observation in my opinion was a Chimney
Swift that kept flying into the branches of a dead tree to snap of twigs for
a nest.  Cool stuff!  We had a fantastic time and being with a group of
birders makes atlasing that much more enjoyable.

I encourage everyone to take a look at the map of Ohio that shows where all
the data is coming from
(http://bird.atlasing.org/Atlas/OH/Main?cmd=stateSummary&edition=current&age
=aged&theme=diversity&species=Go).  Look at the areas of the state that have
no data and consider organizing a block busting event to get some much
needed data.

Good birding everyone!

Aaron Boone
Project Coordinator