OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2007 16:08:53 EDT
Today Saundra Sklar and 8 Delaware County Preservation Parks volunteers
joined me for a birding outing at the Hoover Nature Preserve. The morning began
quietly as the birds appeared to trying to prove Murphy’s Law. The usually loud
 and obvious Prothonotary Warblers at Oxbow Road were silent for the most
part  with half-hearted songs. We managed to get a decent look at a male and
decided  to move on to another location. As we were driving out one of the
normally  cooperative males popped out and burst into song. We stopped the cars and
got  out and he commenced giving his show. He sang from low bushes and
saplings, then dropped to forage on the ground, hopping at about, then he topped  it
off by alighting on a post in front of the group and gave us an aria. He’s
forgiven for being late.

Our next stop was Area N. As we started through, several Prothonotary
Warblers sang in the distance but just about all the birds were unusually quiet.  We
observed the Osprey at the nesting platform and retraced our route to where I
 like to cut off to the back forty. Since there has been so little rain the
water  levels have dropped to where they should be in September rather than
June.

I took the group to my favorite area in the far recesses of Area N where
normally I'm up to my knees in water. Here things improved rapidly as the group
was able to watch a Ruby-throated Hummingbird at her nest.  This was  followed
by watching a pair of Prothonotary Warblers coming and going from their
cavity in an old stump. It was obvious from the behavior that they have
hatchlings in the nest. This is the earliest date I have observed Prothonotary
Warblers feeding  young at a nest at the preserve.

I then heard the Northern Parula that has its territory overlapping the
Prothonotary‘s. He dropped down and foraged in front of the group providing
everyone with nice views. He perched in front of us and sang  until  interrupted by
the arrival of another male Northern Paula. This was followed by  a chase
scene worthy of a movie until the new arrival was driven from his  territory.

We then headed back to Galena for lunch and as we walked several other
Prothonotary Warblers began singing and making their appearances. Can birds  gloat?

After lunch we were off to Area L where we observed more Prothonotary
Warblers. We finished by walking the trail along the old railroad bed where we
watched an Indigo Bunting sing. As we were returning to the cars 2 Yellow-billed
Cuckoos made a quick appearance. They managed to frustrate half the group.

The lack of activity and singing  is unusual. The last few days have  been
too quiet, especially after the intensity of the activity last  week.

Birds seen:
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Green  Heron