OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

From:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 11 Jun 2007 18:38:54 -0400639_windows-1250 The cool "booming" sound of Common Nighthawks is included in the
Peterson "More Birding by Ear" CD set. I thought it sounded
interesting, but hadn't witnessed it in person until about a month ago.

Some friends and I traveled to South Carolina to the Carolina Sandhills
National Wildlife Refuge in mid-May. Besides finding Bachman's Sparrow,
one of the highlights for me was seeing lots of nighthawks flying around
during the middle of the day below treetop height. One of them did the
diving wing-boom display right over the visitor's center while we were
standing in the parking lot about 20 [...]40_11Jun200718:38:[log in to unmask]