OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:24:50 EDT
Dr. Ransome Williams and I birded an area of the preserve we missed on his
visit last week. I'm beginning to believe that along with great company Ransome
 also brings great luck. Our first and last bird this morning were views of
Great  Horned Owls, with some very enjoyable additions between them. The
Ruby-throated  Hummingbird I located last week is spending more time on her nest and
I suspect  she now has one or two eggs. The Prothonotary Warblers were in
good song and  numbers after a couple of quiet days and we observed the adults
bringing in  insects and  removing fecal sacs. I also located Red-headed
Woodpeckers in  a third location for the week which is a positive sign. Yellow-billed
Cuckoos  were vocal and numerous and I determined that there are at least
three Northern  Parula males on territory along the Big Walnut Creek. Once again
Ransome and I  enjoyed nature putting on a show for us.

Birds for the morning were:
Great Blue Heron
Green Heron
Canada  Goose