OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

From:
Ruth Richards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ruth Richards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:51:57 -0700
Yesterday at Clear Creek I saw the following birds on
Creekside Meadow/Fern/Cemetery Ridge Trails:

Great Blue Heron
Green Heron
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Broad-winged Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Red-bellied Woodpecker, feeding 2 juvs
Downy Woodpecker
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Acadian Flycatcher, singing
Eastern Phoebe
Great Crested Flycatcher
Yellow-throated Vireo, best look ever
Warbling Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo, lots, singing
Blue Jay
American Crow
Tree Swallow
Barn Swallow
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
American Robin
Gray Catbird
Cedar Waxwing
Pine Warbler, came close to sing for me
Cerulean Warbler, singing
Ovenbird, lots, singing
Louisiana Waterthrush
Common Yellowthroat, lots, singing
Hooded Warbler, lots, singing
Scarlet Tanager, 5
Eastern Towhee, singing
Chipping Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Indigo Bunting
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
Baltimore Oriole

Heard but not seen:

Carolina Chickadee
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
Wood Thrush
Blue-winged Warbler
Prairie Warbler
Kentucky Warbler

Here's a chuckle for readers.  After I'd hiked the
east loop of the Creekside Meadow Trail, I dared to
try the uphill Cemetary Ridge Trail (I'm 64).  I left
at 11:30 thinking it wouldn't hurt me to have a late
lunch.  I carried my birding chair and guide but no
water, to reduce weight. At long last I reached the
end of the CR trail, only to have the Fern trail to
complete before reaching the picnic area (not the one
where my car was parked).  I flagged down the first
car that passed and begged a ride to the other parking
area.  It was 5:30 and I'd had no water nor lunch.  I
won't be hiking the Cemetary Ridge Trail again!

And here's another chuckle.  Today I made my first
trip to the Crown City Wildlife Area.  From Columbus
via Rt. 23S to 35 out of Chillicothe to Rio Grande
took two hours.  It took another hour of curvy roads
before I found myself in the actual wildlife area.
I'd tried last year, without success, to locate the
map recommended by Bob Royse.  I had my DeLorme and
the ODNR map from the internet.  It really didn't
matter what map I had, because I never saw one street
sign all day long...not one!  At least it was a sunny
day, so I could keep track of my roamings by the sun.
I heard lots of birds.  Seeing them was quite another
story.  It was simply too hot to stay in the car very
long with the sun beating down on it.  If I left the
engine on for the air conditioner, I couldn't hear the
birds.  I spent most of my time in the few shady spots
I could find.  On a brighter note, I found my target
bird, a Blue Grosbeak, which had evaded me until
today.  Following are the birds I saw:

Turkey Vulture
Northern Harrier (surprising)
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Wild Turkey
Mourning Dove
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Eastern Phoebe
Eastern Kingbird
Red-eyed Vireo
American Crow
Purple Martin (Amish yard outside area)
Tree Swallow
Barn Swallow
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
Northern Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
Yellow Warbler, 1
Common Yellowthroat, lots
Yellow-breasted Chat, 1
Eastern Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Grasshopper Sparrow, 3
Song Sparrow
Blue Grosbeak, 1, posing low and singing
Indigo Bunting, lots
Red-winged Blackbird
Eastern Meadowlark
Common Grackle