OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

From:
troy shively <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
troy shively <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2007 21:44:35 -0400
Hello all,
I've spent five solid days birding in Logan County and I thought I'd give a run down of some interesting species:

Zane Caverns - I am finding something new each time I am here.  I think this is the best spot for "Southern" birds in Western Ohio.

Zane Caverns Birds:
Cerulean Warbler - at least one pair
Lousianna Waterthrush - two pairs
American Redstart - At least 10 birds singing throughout the area
Hooded Warbler - one heard off and on
Kentucky Warbler - one heard one of the days
Pileated woodpecker - one pair
VEERY - one singing on wednesday in the ravine near the gift shop
also I swear I heard a Canada Warbler yesterday.......I'll definitely be looking harder the next time I'm there....

Miami river from Degraff to the Logan co/Shelby co border:
Yellow-throated warbler - several locations
Northern Parula - 2 territories
American Redstart - In every block along the river
Red-Headed woodpeckers -at least 20-30 birds between quincy and Indian Lake along the river.  This includes 3 nest at a swamp near Plum Cemetary near Lewistown.
Prothonatory nest -at Plum Cemetary

Long Island on Indian Lake-
Mute Swan with young
Prothonatory Warbler
American Redstart - Common along the road to the island
GREAT EGRET - on nest in Great Blue Heron rookery
CATTLE EGRET - I had one fly by on Long island, may nest in the rookery
CLIFF SWALLOW - 3 pairs nesting under the bridge to Long Island
RING-BILLED GULL - one in perfect breeding plumage(and about a 100 ugly ones).  Could the fresh plumaged one be a breeder?

Fields near Rushlyvania
Bobolink, Henslows sparrows, Dickcissel all in multiple fields

I also had Northern Bobwhite today along sink hole road near West Liberty.  Its been three years since I've heard one in the county.....

All in all, in the last two years I have had 15 species of Warblers during the breeding season and I would be willing to bet that I could find two more with a lot more effort(chestnut-sided and worm-eating).  I've also had at least four blue grosbeaks, multiple Henslow's sparrows, dickcissels(almost every block),Alder Flycatchers, and a whole lot of fun.  Every day I find something that surpises me.  I've found five red-headed woodpecker nest in the last week!  I am convinced that I could locate some really good birds if I had better access to the large woodlands nead madriver mountain and Zanesfield.  8 years ago I had Loggerhead Shrike in this area in one of the shrubby fields. I don't know of too many birders who regularly bird Logan County, but the few I do know agree that there is soooo much untapped potential here.  I am out birding every day and I'd love to have some company, so if you want to join me sometime give me a call at 937-935-9023.  I've never enjoyed birding so much.

Summer Cheers,
Troy Shively