OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

From:
Scott Albaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Albaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2007 22:23:08 -0400
Hello Everyone,

Bob Royse's post has inspired me to chime in and second his thoughts.  I've
been atlasing quite a bit during the last week or so and have had a blast.
One of the best finds so far came on Tuesday while atlasing in Jefferson
County.  I found a Blue Grosbeak which is most likely a county record.  In
the same field with the Blue Grosbeak were dozens of Bobolinks, Grasshopper
Sparrows, Henslow's Sparrows and meadowlarks.  At one time I was flanked on
all sides by displaying Bobolinks...truly amazing.  I've been lucky to find
other neat birds like a Chestnut-sided Warbler near the Knox Coshocton
County line, lots of Kentucky Warblers in the right habitat, Bank Swallows,
Henslow's Sparrows in almost every reclaimed strip mine that I've been to,
and so much more.

In my opinion the best thing about atlasing is that it is going to make me a
better birder.  While atlasing I take more time to really WATCH the birds.
I've been learning so much that I never knew about common birds.  I've heard
chips and sounds come out of birds that I never before noticed.  I've been
lucky enough to find some nests and observe behaviors that I have never
taken the time to see before.  It's a phenomenal learning experience.

There are a lot of places in our state that are virtually unbirded.
Jefferson County is a good example.  Who knows what kind of discoveries
await birders that venture into these areas?  The OBBA2 is a great excuse to
get out there and explore.  If anyone is interested in birding Jefferson, or
Belmont Counties email me off list and I can give a few suggestions as to
places to go.

Happy Atlasing,

Scott Albaugh