OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2007

From:
Andy Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2007 09:30:08 -0400
Hi All:

Sorry for the late report. I went to the South Columbus Lowe's to look for
the Lark Sparrows after work on Thursday, July 26. The reason this report is
being filed today is that I left for Atlanta immediately after I got back
from Lowe's and just got back, and I had no email access.

Anyway, I did hear one Lark Sparrow singing, and I also saw what I am about
90% certain was a juvenile Lark Sparrow on the north side of the big dirt
pile. I didn't get a clear look at the tail, but the bird was behaving in a
way that didn't suggest Song Sparrow to me. It flew to the ground, and
started foraging, then noticed me nearby pretty quickly and started skulking
off through the vegetation, never getting more than a foot off the ground.
Usually, when I've got a Song Sparrow worried, it pops up fairly high to get
a good look at me before flying off.  I did get a brief but clear glimpse of
the head pattern, which looked like a juvenile Lark Sparrow to me. I didn't
see any Blue Grosbeaks, though.

One thing I will add that I haven't noticed in other reports from the area
is its use as a recreation area for off-road vehicles. While I was there,
there were two trucks and 3 ATVs that at various time roared through the
area at high speeds, which made birding a little hard to do. I would advise
people who go to this location to avoid doing so after work hours, when I
think would probably be the most popular time for the off-roaders in this
area.

Andrew R. Sewell, MS, RPA

Principal Investigator

Historical/Industrial Archaeology